Read synopsis of railway budget 2008 introduced today. Given that we have an election year, the budget is made attractive enough. Unfortunately, the state of Andhra Pradesh gets (the usual) step motherly treatment this year too. The state gets no good benefits in new trains or infrastructure improvements.
- Reduction in fares
- Infrastructure improvements
- Emphasis on safety
- Improved ticketing (cell phones, etc.)
- Reduced fright charges for certain types of fuel
- Additional berths in three tier, making life more miserable
- New concessions have a potential to clog the already busy travel networks, especially during peak holiday season.
Overall, it is a good budget. People in Andhra may still have to suffer in busy routes like Hyderabad-Bangalore, Hyderabad-Visakhapatnam and other internal routes.